Donald Trump has announced that the United States and Iran are close to finalising an agreement aimed at ending tensions between the two countries, with discussions now focused on concluding the final details.
In a statement issued late Saturday, Trump said the proposed deal would include the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, a key global oil transit route, although he did not provide additional details on the agreement.
The US and Iran have been exchanging proposals and counterproposals through Pakistan, particularly on the reopening of the strategic waterway, concerns surrounding Tehran’s nuclear programme, and possible sanctions relief.
According to Trump, the prospective agreement was discussed during a “very good call” with several regional leaders.
“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other countries,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.
The US president also disclosed that he held discussions with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu regarding the negotiations.
“Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly. In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” Trump stated.
Washington and Tehran have been engaged in negotiations since a ceasefire agreement was reached in early April following months of heightened tensions across the Middle East.
The discussions have reportedly centred on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, easing sanctions on Iran, and ensuring safeguards around Tehran’s nuclear activities.
Earlier, an Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman told state television that the positions of both countries had moved closer in recent days, although he cautioned that major disagreements still remained.
The spokesman accused US officials of issuing “contradictory statements” during the negotiation process.
Despite the ongoing talks, Trump has repeatedly insisted that any agreement with Tehran would “absolutely” prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
Shehbaz Sharif confirmed Pakistan’s involvement in the negotiations and praised Trump’s efforts toward securing peace in the region.
Sharif described his recent phone conversation with Trump as “very useful and productive” and expressed optimism that another round of talks would be hosted soon.
“We hope to host the next round of talks very soon,” Sharif said in a statement posted on X.
Pakistan has been acting as an intermediary between Washington and Tehran during the negotiations.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei also confirmed progress in discussions, describing the emerging arrangement as a “memorandum of understanding.”
Speaking on Iranian state television, Baghaei said Tehran was working toward an agreement structured around a 14-point framework.
According to him, Iranian officials are currently finalising the memorandum, which could pave the way for additional negotiations within the next 30 to 60 days before a final agreement is reached.
The latest diplomatic progress follows months of escalating tensions after the United States and Israel launched large-scale strikes on Iran on February 28, triggering retaliatory attacks by Tehran on Israel and US-aligned Gulf states.
The conflict intensified after Iran leveraged its strategic control of the Strait of Hormuz to effectively shut down the vital shipping route, through which nearly 20% of global oil and natural gas supplies pass.
The renewed momentum in negotiations comes after reports emerged on Friday suggesting that the US administration had been considering another round of military strikes against Iran, although no final decision had reportedly been made.
