The Federal Court of Australia has ruled that Apple and Google engaged in anti-competitive conduct through their control of their respective app stores, delivering a legal win for Fortnite maker Epic Games.
Justice Jonathan Beach found the tech giants abused their dominant positions in app distribution to restrict competition. However, he dismissed Epic’s claims that the companies engaged in “unconscionable conduct.”
Epic has long challenged Apple and Google’s fees for in-app purchases in courts worldwide. Earlier this year, it secured a major victory in the United States, prompting Fortnite’s return to the U.S. App Store after a five-year absence.
Following Tuesday’s ruling, Epic CEO Tim Sweeney said Fortnite and the Epic Games Store would return to Apple’s App Store in Australia “soon.”
Google welcomed the court’s rejection of some of Epic’s demands, including the requirement to host rival app stores within Google Play, but disagreed with the court’s findings on its billing policies.
Apple told ABC News it maintains its App Store is the safest way for users to obtain apps, but also disagreed with aspects of the ruling.
The decision could reshape app marketplace rules in Australia, potentially opening the door to broader competition in mobile software distribution.

