Road accidents decrease by 24% in 2023 Q1 – NBS

Bisola David
Bisola David
Road accidents decrease by 24% in 2023 Q1 - NBS

There were a total of 2,733 traffic accidents on the roads in the first quarter of 2023, therefore indicating a 24.44% decrease from the 3,617 crashes reported in the previous quarter and an 18.30% decrease from the 3,345 crashes reported in the same quarter of 2022.

According to The Times, this information is in accordance with the National Bureau of Statistics’ report on road transport.

Serious collisions accounted for 1,801 of all recorded crashes in Q1 2023, outnumbering both fatal (677) and minor (255) incidents.

In addition, fewer cases fell into each of the three groups compared to the previous quarter.

The data revealed that 82.23% of the 1,441 people died in traffic accidents during Q1 2023 were male (1,185), while females accounted for the remaining 17.77% (256).

Similar to this, males made up 76.58% of the 8,339 injured people (6,386), while females made up 23.42% (1,953) of the total injured.

4,095 vehicles were engaged in road traffic crashes overall in Q1 2023, which is a 24.26% decrease from the 5,407 vehicles counted in Q1 2022.

With a total of 973 events, the North-Central region in terms of regional distribution experienced the highest number of traffic accidents in Q1 2023.

The South-South recorded the fewest crashes, with only 122, closely followed by the South-West with 678.

When casualties were broken down by region, the North-Central region came up as having the most casualties (2,928).

With 2,323 casualties, the North-West region came in second, and the South-South region had the fewest, with just 46.

Share this Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *